Prevention is the best approach to fire. Report fire hazards to the Office of Fire Safety at 706-542-5801 and know what to do in case of fire:
- Know where fire alarms and portable extinguishers are located.
- Know what immediate hazards might cause a fire or become dangerous in a fire (e.g., blocked halls, chemical storage, propped-open smoke and stairway doors).
- Know who to call and keep the number near the phone: 911
- Know where exits are located.
In the event of fire:
- Pull the fire alarm if one is available and start an orderly evacuation (even for small fires: a closed room can reach 1500 degrees within three minutes).
- From a safe location, call the fire department (911).
- From a safe location, call the University police: 706-542-2200.
- If you are trained in the use of portable extinguishers, and it is safe to do so, attempt to put out the fire.
- If the fire is too large for the use of a portable extinguisher, don’t try to extinguish it yourself. Evacuate the room and close the door.
- Report to emergency personnel after you have evacuated.
Contact the UGA Police Department IMMEDIATELY:
UGA Police Department
286 Oconee St. Suite 100Athens, GA, 30602
Emergency Phone: (706) 542-2200